...............The Hellwig Family

Friday, March 27, 2009

Making Marzipan

Posted by Gabrielle

Daddy really likes marzipan so yesterday morning I made him a batch for his birthday tomorrow. I thought some of our readers might find it interesting how I did it. And thank you to Elliot, my intern photographer, for taking these pictures! ;)

I cut the stick of almond paste into slices so it would be easier to work with and rolled out a small ball,
... using small cookie cutters to make the shapes.
This time I decided to make it chocolate-covered marzipan; I've never done that before. I used a double boiler(metal bowl over a pot of boiling water) to melt about a cup of chocolate chips.
After experimenting with the tongs I decided the best way to get them thoroughly coated in chocolate was to dive in and do it with my fingers. This was the first one.
After dipping them I laid them out on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and put it in the freezer. They hardened to look like those little gourmet chocolates and I packaged them up.
And this is what my fingers looked like when I was done!

No comments: