...............The Hellwig Family

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Vinegar Pie

Posted by Gabrielle

Looks a lot like pumpkin pie, doesn't it? :) Over four years ago, I first made this for a colonial/frontier day that a family at our church was hosting, making it several times in advance to perfect it. And then several years went by and I nearly forgot its existence. This past week, Christianna requested it as part of her birthday dinner tomorrow evening.


So this morning, with much trepidation, I opened the book, still with the bookmark in place, and made a lovely pie with none of the sweat and tears I expected. :) One indispensable change I made this time was adding guar gum to the filling; it thickened the unusually runny filling sufficiently so it could bake the normal time and not burn the crust trying to get the filling to solidify. It smells truly scrumptious and I can't wait to try it tomorrow evening. I hope everyone else likes it.

No comments: